At its Annual Meeting on October 20, the governing board of the Federation of Friends of the DC Public Library elected new officers, reviewed past activities, and prioritized future ones amid an atmosphere of high accomplishment.
Chief among the Federation’s achievements were an inaugural “Preview” event that kicked off the Citywide Book Sale in September, a second year of financial support for Summer Reading programs, and a thorough revision of the group’s bylaws.
- The Citywide Book Sale was augmented for the first time by book donations and volunteers from Friends groups across the city. The Preview event raised $4500 in two hours on a rainy Thursday, and was much enjoyed as an occasion to bring Friends groups together.
- Funds from the Preview will go to DCPL’s 2012 Summer Reading programs. The Federation supported programs with $27,000 in funding from local Friends groups in 2011.
- A thorough revision of the bylaws included the creation of a new executive officer position of Membership Secretary and designated the alternating of officer elections in odd and even years.
President Susan Haight of the West End Library Friends, and Secretary Wendy Blair of the Literary Friends of DCPL were both re-elected. Acting President of the newly formed Friends of MLK Library LaToya Thomas was elected to the newly established position of Membership Secretary.
All terms run for two years. However, per the new changes to the bylaws, elections will now alternate — with the aforementioned positions to be elected in odd years, and the Vice President and Treasurer in even years. Rosalyn Christian of Friends of R L Christian serves as Vice President of the Federation. Robert Hass of the West End Library Friends is Acting Treasurer.
The governing board consists of designated representatives from each member Friends of the Library group. The Federation has active participation from most of the library system’s 24 branches and the MLK central libray, as well as citywide groups like the Literary Friends, and also welcomes non-voting associate members like the Library Renaissance Project.
Officers of the Federation of Friends of DCPL:
- President: Susan Haight, West End Library Friends
- Vice President: Rosalyn Christian, Friends of R L Christian
- Secretary: Wendy Blair, Literary Friends of DCPL
- Treasurer (acting): Robert Haas, West End Library Friends
- Membership Secretary LaToya Thomas, MLK Library Friends
Federation website: http://www.dclibraryfriends.org/